Monday, January 14, 2008

An embarrassment of riches


These are the knitting books I have currently on my nightstand. Top to bottom: Son of Stitch n Bitch, Itty-Bitty Nursery, Knitting for Him, Knitting Lingerie Style, The Best of Interweave Knits, Amazing Crochet Lace (token crochet book), The Natural Knitter, Boho Baby Knits, Romantic Hand Knits, More Sensational Knitted Socks, Knitting Classic Style, Chic Knits for Stylish Babies, Nature babies, Knitknit, New Knits on the Block and The Elegant Knitter. Phew!

As you can see, they're all checked out from the library. I'm very discerning when it comes to buying books, not to mention unable to afford all the books I read. I test drive most books from the libe before I decide to buy. And I have a neat little "found money" system for buying books. I use my credit card to pay my phone, cable, DirecTV and other bills- so I get some effortless cash back. When I get $20 cash I can trade it in for a $25 Borders gift card. Sweet. This is how to make the system work for you. But please, don't try this if you don't plan to pay your credit card in full each month!

But back to the books. Wow, is it me, or has there been an absolute explosion in knitting books lately? Is it because everybody is trying to cash in on the craze while it lasts? Or do you think it's not a passing fad? And that everyone who's seriously knitting today is going to continue, becoming a self-fulfilling prophecy of the stereotypical knitting grandma (or grandpa)? I'm really curious to know what everyone thinks.

Having an 8 month old at home, I'm naturally drawn to the baby books. Boho Baby is a winner- it has at least 5 things I want to knit, which is my definition of a book worth buying. I really like the knitted baby book- small, controlled attempts at intarsia- woot! It made me think of The Book of Knitty which I now have a crazy desire to make. I have a little fiberphile in the house, so really, it's not that crazy on closer examination.

Knitknit is the best coffee table book on knitting I have come across. Really beautifully produced, with some designers I greatly admire. I'm definitely going to buy.

Entertaining, but not on the to-buy list- Knitting Lingerie Style and Romantic Hand Knits. They don't fulfil the 5 pattern minimum. I need to count once more before a final verdict on Knitting Classic Style. But I totally love the argyle socks. If I do knit the bevy of socks for the huz, this pair will be one of them.

Complete bust, at least as far as I'm concerned- Son of SnB. My guy is a conservative dresser and he didn't care for most of the patterns. Oddly enough, he didn't mind the crocheted sweater. I don't have crochet skills of that magnitude though. Knitting for Him met with a similar lukewarm response- with the exception of the Cricket Sweater. And he plays ping pong! Go figure. :)

The Best of Interweave was unexpected. It seemed like the majority of patterns were from the last few years, when from all accounts the glory days of IK were when Melanie Falick was at the helm. I think it's a good buy, though, if you are brand new to knitting and IK.

With all this reading, is any knitting happening? Yes indeed- a pair of socks, a baby hat, some newly completed pre-felting mittens, and a secret gift project. Stay tuned. There will be pics, I promise.

No comments: